A chapel was first built at Swan Hill in the town of Shrewsbury in 1767. In 1868, this was demolished and replaced with the current building; schoolrooms were then added in 1880. Charters Property Ltd who specialize in property development, consultancy and project management, recently purchased the deconsecrated church and have transformed the building into a prestigious development of four fabulous homes.
Sensitivity was key when renovating the property and the majority of the original features have been preserved. Original stone walls, lintels and cills have been repaired and impeccably replaced. The walls and roofs have been insulated and energy saving measures implemented to create a comfortable, efficient living environment.
Although it was possible to restore some of the original fenestration, double glazed replacement steel windows were still required throughout the building. Clement was thrilled to manufacture these new steel windows and doors. Various Clement ranges were used to meet the different criteria required for the project. For example, the Brooking range for the beautiful arched head windows on the front elevation as it would best replicate the originals which would have been silicone fronted, EB16 was used for other windows where silicone fronting was not required and W20 was used to make the steel doors. In total, over thirty individual windows were specified, all in various shapes and sizes.
Clement 2 and Clement 4 Conservation Rooflights were installed throughout, in keeping with the traditional look outside and allowing masses of light in through the beautiful, high ceilings.
James Charter, Director of Charters Property Ltd, said:
“We were very pleased with the attention to detail and finish of the steel windows. Clement took ownership of their section of the project and were able to deliver a complex scheme on time and to a very good standard. They remained client focused throughout and we will happily use their service again.
We have used Clement rooflights on numerous projects and appreciate the fast delivery and easy installation. Their products have met with Local Authority approval on all of our heritage sensitive work. This means we can specify a great looking product in the knowledge that it will also fulfil our planning criteria.”
The Clement Windows Group manufactures an innovative range of steel windows, doors, screens and rooflights for both private residences and commercial projects. Based just outside London in Surrey, Clement’s window products can be seen in a number of prestigious projects across the UK and abroad. Prominent examples include Battersea Power Station and Old Marylebone Town Hall in London, The Pithay and YMCA in Bristol, Norwich City Hall, the University of Manchester and the Eldorado Building in New York’s Manhattan.
Tel: 01428 643393